Friday, August 13, 2010

Exploring Little Five


I’m intrigued with Little Five Points and Cabbagetown, but I always feel like it’s best enjoyed when you’re a local. I tried to feign a sense of locality last night. I brought my sketchbook and current book for pleasure (ohh yeaa). I walked down Euclid, and casually and turned and entered The Porter. Immediately I was in love. It’s a small, skinny and long pub that is low, but well lit. Besides the bartender with the quietly pretty face, I was the only girl, and definitely the youngest (this is not why I loved it… I’m not a prowler).  I was surrounded by educated, classically dressed and socially liberal minded young gentlemen. The bar only had craft beer and liquor (thank goodness for the vacation from PBR and Miller High Life). I ordered a seasonal, dark, nutty beer that I had never heard of before, and it was absolutely delicious. The gentlemen next to me had ridden in on his Vespa and was wearing a tweed suit. After eaves dropping some, I learned that he had taught at Harvard and now is retired and lectures by invitation at Georgia Tech. A friendly young man, sitting a few stools down (that sounds funny) heard that this was my first time at The Porter and that I was relatively new to Atlanta, which apparently warranted him buying me a beer. I never turn down free alcohol. It was a completely casual, no obligation, civil gesture, which was refreshing.

This might become a regular week-day spot for me. Look for me behind “On the Road” or behind the apple. 

Have you met us?

June

No comments:

Post a Comment